Mathalicious


Yes I am majoring in mathematics. Yes I love it. Yes I have been classified as a geek a few times.

But look what math + geek =


Yes that is correct. You are looking at the most basic equation for determining the rate of zombification during an outbreak. By basic I mean that no additional factors are entered such as the ability to quarantine infected individuals, the ability to obtain a cure, and etc.


So yes, this is one of the reasons why I love math.

Actually my whole entire outlook on mathematics changed in high school thanks to a geometry teacher by the name of Mr. Gomez. He was a real down-to-earth guy and he tried his best to help his students realize that math alone is mostly arbitrary for the major of the population. So why do we take math classes? Because of thought processes it forces individuals to develop. Certain styles of math require different analytical abilities that people can develop with practice. It's essentially a way to teach people to think differently and more in depth about the world around them.

So from that class on I loved math. And it's probably a contributing factor to my weirdness.

Something else that helped me realize the benefits of math was the book Freakonomics. Well statistics is a form of math and the author of this book used a lot of those for sure, but I loved how he found correlating patterns in random everyday things and figured out how they related to each other. It kind of reminds me of A Beautiful Mind. haha I have a few theories of my own, but it's just a matter of doing the research to prove my theories are true. That will be a big blog when the time comes =P

I love higher level math because it forces me to really exercise my brain. Holding module ideas in all the corners of the mind while trying to figure out how to piece them together, all the while obeying the rules and forms for each respective "idea" (equation, system, etc).

It's so exciting!!!

0 comments: